27.6.09

things of beauty

The day is wet and grey.
.....
Gavin is away for the weekend and the kids and I are hunkered down enjoying the cozy feeling of snuggling under an afghan with a hot cup of creamy coffee....oh yeah, that's just me - A, E & C are huddled around the computer! Regardless, I've had a lovely morning with a stack of magazines that I was given but hadn't had a chance to savour. I love glossy pictures of pretty things! And I love it when the editors add in thoughts and quotes that give me pause as I reflect on the beautiful images.
.....
Like this one attributed to Elsie de Wolfe:

"Be pretty if you can,
be witty if you must, but
be gracious if it kills you."
........
But when I came across this quote from John Keats, I suddenly
no longer saw the picture behind the words.
......
"A thing of beauty is a joy forever."
.....
This simple phrase stopped me in my tracks (mental tracks, since I was still sitting on my couch). I have a strong desire - no, really I call it a vision or mission statement - to create a home for my family that is beautiful. Not because of the things that fill it (though I have a fondness of pretty things -have you seen my shower curtain?), but because of the feelings that I hope they can associate with being Home.
.....
Sights, smells, things to touch all the senses.
~freshly baked sticky buns on swim lesson night
~soft, warm blankets on the ends of our beds for cold nights
~flowers - even if they're fake - to brighten up a room
~bbq burgers enjoyed al fresco on bright yellow macrame placemats
~stories and prayers at bedtime
~digging in the black mud to make the colourful flowers bloom and grow
.....
Today, however, I'm reminded of two scriptures that have been favorites of mine for years:
.....
"Those who look to Him are radiant;
their faces are never covered with shame."
Psalm 34:5
.....
"The King is enthralled by your beauty;
honor Him, for He is your Lord."
Psalm 45:11
.....
I long to reflect His beauty to my family and look for ways to create and encourage the growth of His loveliness in each of them.
.....
May the Word of the Lord inspire us toward His grace and goodness.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...