24.6.09

hard habit to break

I went to peek in on Cassidy this evening and found this sweet sight!  My baby asleep - fairy wings intact!  Of course, the other thing I quickly noticed was that thumb in her mouth.

We've talked about quitting.
~discussed why one shouldn't suck their thumb
~googled books on helping your child think it is their idea
~planned for rewards, should we undertake the task of really breaking this habit

And yet, a month after her fourth birthday, I wasn't at all surprised to see this tonight.  I know there are likely equal numbers of people who would say, "oh, don't force it - she'll quit eventually" and "I can't believe you've let it go on this long!"

Honestly, I'm not ready to commit to making it stop altogether, so for now I gently remind her when I see it - and sometimes turn a blind eye.

Here's a question:

If you're my friend (or you have some other friend) and you see me practicing a bad habit (maybe something worse than nail biting....gossip?...road rage?....over-indulgence?...), what do you do?  Do you call me on it?  Or do you assume I'm already working on it?  Or do you think I'll quit eventually (the Holy Spirit will convict me of this issue eventually)?

Here's another question:

If you're my friend - am I ready to hear this kind of constructive criticism from you?  Am I going to judge you by suddenly noticing with new clarity that you don't exactly have your act completely together?  Am I going to sulk, broken-hearted that people don't love me 'just as I am'?

Put on love! ~ see Colossians 3:12-17 ~

"Whatever you do, whether in word or in deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him." (v 17)

I'm thankful I have people in my life who are willing to take a stand for my good and tell me (gently!) things I need to improve upon.  

And I'm working on being the kind of person that can apply godly knowledge to encourage those I care about!

1 comment:

  1. great stuff to ponder
    i don't think i will ever be able to easily give a friend (or anyone) constructive criticism.
    Had to do it last year....and cried the whole time.
    thanks for the reminder that God offers the tools....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...