7.2.12

hands

It's 'taco tuesday' at the Hall home!  As I considered what we would need to make a fabulous fiesta, I suddenly realized I didn't have enough soft shells to satisfy my troops.  With a bit of time stretching before me I thought of walking to the grocery store, but only until I remembered I have a recipe for soft tortillas.  It's from my aunt and I've had it for years but never attempted it.

Today is the day!

Simple ingredients dumped into a bowl, followed by butter and water.  As I used my pastry blender to cut the butter in, I wondered if I was doing it right.  The recipe just said to "add" the butter.  I know some people use two knives, and some people use their hands to combine butter into flour....

I kneaded the dough and cut it into pieces.  As I attempted to roll out (not-so-perfect) circles, I looked down at my hands and thought,  Even if I botoxed my face to oblivion, my hands will always give away my age.  I laughed to myself remembering when one of my beloved children said to me, "no offense, mom, but your hands are disturbing."

nice.

I continued to roll as the radio played in the background.  I hummed along with a song I know well, but was struck when it came to chorus.

"I lift my hands to believe again..." (listen here)

Just like the Israelites, gathered to hear from the Word of God:

5 Ezra opened the book. All the people could see him because he was standing above them; and as he opened it, the people all stood up. 6 Ezra praised the LORD, the great God; and all the people lifted their hands and responded, “Amen! Amen!” Then they bowed down and worshiped the LORD with their faces to the ground. (nehemiah 8:5-6)

As a sign of their belief and in response to the truth they hear, they lift their hands.

Hands.  Just like these "disturbing" hands of mine that often ache from years of piano practice and data entry jobs.  These hands that wipe noses, rub backs, brush hair and touch foreheads to check for fever.  These hands that fix lunches, hang pictures, fold laundry and scrub toilets.  These hands that create and conduct and make music.

My hands are one of the most active parts of my body and so it seems fitting that they would take action in my personal worship.  I lift my hands to believe, to respond, to agree - Amen! Amen!


1 You, God, are my God, 
   earnestly I seek you; 
I thirst for you, 
   my whole being longs for you, 
in a dry and parched land 
   where there is no water...


4 I will praise you as long as I live, 

   and in your name I will lift up my hands. 
(ps 63:1,4)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...