20.9.11

when life gives you lemons....

make cinnamon buns!

Today I'm going to share my favorite cinnamon bun recipe.
It's easy.
It makes feel like a "real" woman, kneading dough and all...
It makes me feel like super-mom.

All that from one recipe, you ask?
for me, YES!

I got the recipe from bakingbites.com and this morning's batch was the best I'd ever made
(and I made some really bad ones once...)
so I figured they were worthy to share.


2 1/2 tsp dry yeast (1 pkg)
1/4 c. warm water
3-3 1/2 c. white whole wheat flour
1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. buttermilk
1/4 butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp salt

In a large bowl, stir together yeast and water, 
let stand 5 minutes, until bubbly.
Add in 2 cups flour, sugar, buttermilk, butter, vanilla and salt.
Stir well, until dough is smooth.
Gradually add in remaining flour until dough 
comes together into a slightly sticky ball
and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
Turn out onto lightly floured surface 
and knead until dough is smooth.
Add flour as needed - dough should be "tacky" but not wet.
(keep it nice and tacky for the softest buns)


Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a tea towel and let rise 
until doubled in size: 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

You will soon need:

1/4 c. butter, room temp
2 tsp cinnamon
2/3 c. brown sugar
3 Tbsp coarse (or regular sugar)

**side note: I never use those quantities.  
Cinnamon buns are a treat!  Why not make them the treatiest?
I just slather a bunch of butter and pile on the brown sugar and cinnamon.**

Lightly grease a 9x13 pan (I use pyrex).
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
(I hope you didn't clean up the mess 2 hours ago 
- it's getting messy again!)
Press dough into a rectangle, roll dough out into a sheet about 12x6 inches.

Spread dough with softened butter, leaving a 1/4 in. border.  
Sprinkle evenly with cinnamon, brown sugar and coarse sugar.
Working with one of the long sides, roll dough up tightly into a log.
Pinch seam and divide log into 12 even pieces with a sharp knife.
Place in prepared pan, leaving space between rolls.

Cover with plastic wrap and REFRIGERATE overnight.

Here's the part where you get to feel like mom/spouse of the year....
set your alarm!

Place refrigerated rolls on counter for about 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400F.
go back to bed and set your alarm again...

Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
Cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.


I dare you to try and get a photo before the people you live with dig in!

enjoy your day!

1 comment:

  1. oh my! can i lick my screen? that might not be a good thing;) thanks for joining in!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...