21.9.11

average


av·er·age

[av-er-ij, av-rij] 
noun,adjective, verb, -aged, -ag·ing.
        
 noun ~a quantity, rating, or the like that represents or approximates...
adjective ~typical; common; ordinary.


Driving with my husband the other day, he spotted a sign outside a building that said:
"The average man thinks he isn't."

I did not see the sign, but I heard him muttering about it, and asked what the problem was.  He said, "that isn't true. Most people think they're average, even if they're not."

At this, I cocked an eyebrow.

I distinctly remember many years ago, when I came to the realization that I was completely average.  
~average brown hair,
~blue-grey eyes (very common)
~average height and weight
~average shoe size (which is why my size is always gone during a good sale!)
~average intelligence - smart enough, but no Einstein!
~average skills in many areas...actually, I always thought that certain skills of mine balanced out my lack of athletic skills.

I didn't think this was a bad assessment.  I like the fact that I don't stick out too much either way.

Today I read:
"average is in the eye of the beholder."

Well, that's probably true...

God's Word says that I'm "fearfully and wonderfully made" and don't think I'm denying that by clinging to my claim of average-ness.  I think He made me this way, because He knew this is how I'd be most comfortable....and while we all have times where we struggle to be content with what we've got (and have not got), I praise God for each day that I become a little more like Him.

For this is the only thing that could set me apart from the rest of the average world.  I am a believer, "cleaned up by Jesus and set apart for a God-filled life." (1 Corinthians 1:1 MSG)  

Perhaps I'm rising above average after all.

1 comment:

  1. I love this Becky. And I think Gavin's right. Most people don't give themselves enough credit for the things they are genuinely skilled at, whether it be a spiritual gift, or simply a talent at which they've become disciplined. I am considering your take on it. I wonder, also if perhaps the reason God allows us to feel our average-ness is to remind us to keep our eyes on His ability to make us excellent, beyond what we would dare to dream or imagine for ourselves? Perhaps? Thanks for you musings, I am always encouraged to stop and consider, be grateful, feel loved and blessed, and move forward in my day with His uplifting thoughts resonating in my mind and in my heart. Be blessed.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...