12.12.12

tradition

 Into the middle of December, and all the Hall family traditions are well underway.


We've packed shoe boxes (just in the nick of time - as usual!).



We've enjoyed school Christmas programs.




We've decked the halls (and made the traditional remarks about how that carol is offensive to our family - haha).





We've baked up a storm, and have watched the supply dwindle as we've enjoyed family and friends.


We've also done the traditional "relaxed" approach to gift shopping (as in, I'm nowhere near done), and the equally unfocused tradition of the Christmas card photo....(or maybe New Year's card?).


Our family traditions seem to mean more to our kids every year.  This is an amazing gift I did not expect.  But I have found that the same traditions that we look forward to and intentionally make part of our family Advent season can be the very things that distract me from taking the time to really listen to what the Lord wants me to learn this Christmastime.

And so, as the opportunities come in bits and pieces through the weeks, I must steal away - maybe light a little candle - and be still.  I must make the time to focus my heart and mind on the coming of Christ.  Not only the first coming as a baby, but His promised second coming.


Trust in the Lord and do good;

    dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.
Take delight in the Lord,
    and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Commit your way to the Lord;


    trust in him and he will do this:
 
He will make your righteous reward shine like the dawn,
    your vindication like the noonday sun.

Be still before the Lord

    and wait patiently for him;
psalm 37:3-7


May my days never be too busy to look to Him 
and may my heart never be too distracted to see.



What are you doing to stay focused on Jesus this Christmas?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...