31.8.09

new fall's resolutions

It's (near) the start of a new day and I feel energized! The kids are playing/fighting upstairs, there's a load of laundry swishing itself to cleanliness and my coffee is hot. I have high hopes for the day. With this kind of energy, who knows what I might accomplish...

I have high hopes for the coming season too.

Yesterday as we drove home from a day by the lake, I asked Gavin if he had made any "new fall's" resolutions. Maybe this concept is weird to you, but I LOVE fall and I love the feeling of a fresh start, a new routine.
So why not resolve to do a few things differently? Why not take the time to prayerfully consider the ways the Lord might be calling for change?

Even though Fall is officially a few weeks away, I decided TODAY is the day to try out my new goals. So while the kids were busy setting up a fort in the girls' room, I pulled out my journal and Bible. I turned to the Psalms (always a great place for me to start!) and flipped to #144. I love the verse in there that says, "I will sing a new song, to you, O God;" The only problem was that as I listened to the kids fight, I couldn't focus. Plus, my mind was whirling with my many "to do" items for the day.

Help me focus on You, Lord.

My eyes drifted over to Psalm 145. It's all about the greatness of my God! I read it in the NIV, then felt compelled to read it in Cassidy's bible (International Children's Bible), so I read it out loud to the littles....in hopes of....something. I went back down to the computer and headed to my fave biblegateway.com to see how some other translations would say it.

As no surprise to me, the Ampified version is what impacted me the most! If I were one to embroider verses onto pillows, this would be one (though I've never seen a pillow with this many brackets....);

"Every day [with it's new reasons] I will bless You [affectionately and gratefully praise You]; yes, I will praise Your name forever and ever." Psalm 145:2

Yes, there are new reasons every day to be affectionate and grateful to the Lord. Some days it will be harder than others to find those reasons, I know it well, but if I can just keep looking, I know the Lord will be glad to show me more of His love and goodness.

1 comment:

  1. love the new look of the blog. :) bright and fresh.
    like you, i also seem to feel the need to "start a-fresh" in the fall, almost more-so then in January.
    It's almost as though the act of buying new school supplies, (all those blank sheets of paper and unused pencils), represent "the beginning"...."a clean slate" if you will. a natural time to make change.
    thanks for the verse.
    think i'll write that one out.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...