1.7.09

when i grow up

When I grow up, I want to be:
....a doctor
....a firefighter
....a lion?

When I was a kid, the only this I ever really dreamed about being was a mom - well, I did go through that phase when I wanted to be Pinky Tuscadero from Happy Days....

But beside that, all I wanted was to be a married lady with a couple of kids.  I remember as I got into my middle teen years (never having had boyfriend!), I thought I would never achieve my goal.  I would go to prophecy conferences and hear "the end is NOW" and I would hope, wish and pray that this were not the case.  I had things I needed to see (like if I would ever get a boyfriend!), and babies to have.  

When I met the love of my life, I prayed the Lord would hold off on His triumphant return until I could have a wedding....and then a little one or two....or three.

The other day, there was a  tv show playing in the background as I cleaned. (I shouldn't admit what show it was....it started with O...)  The topic was LONGEVITY.  I listened as the doctor talked about what kind of diet, exercise and lifestyle could increase your expected lifespan to 125 years.  yikes!  organ regeneration?  raw food, calorie restricted diet?  oxygen chamber?

for what?

What would I gain by living on the earth for that long?  Maybe I'd get to meet my great grandchildren - and complain that they have no interest in my life.  Maybe I'd receive a letter from the Queen of England (do they still do that?) - I guess it might be King Harry by then...

I have no interest in dying young, and I have a significant fear of degenerative and incurable diseases, but I praised God as I dusted and listened to the program, because I felt ready.  

I'm so content with the life the Lord has given me and the opportunities I've had to love and grow and serve. 

Psalm 90:12
"Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom."

One time, I heard it said like this:

"So cause us to know how to assign significance to our days that we may gain the ability to see life as You see it."

each day - a little bit more....


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...