20.9.12

my shield

Last week I was flipping through the catalogue that came with a book delivery and saw an item that caught my eye.  It was an armor of God playset, that included:

  • Helmet of Salvation with movable visor
  • Breastplate of Righteousness with adjustable straps
  • "Shin Guards" of Peace that adjust to fit
  • Belt of Truth with adjustable Velcro closure
  • Spirit-of-the-Word Sword--the right size for little hands
  • Shield of Faith has easy-to-grip handle
  • Faith Parenting Guide with suggested activities and Scripture

The descriptions alone could get you chuckling.  Belt of Truth with adjustable closure?  That'll come in handy around thanksgiving! 

I'm thinking of getting this for my little nephew, because the thought of him running around the house in this gear, and describing each part in his sweet way, brings a smile to my face.  He's just like his dad (my big brother)!

But how 'bout that Shield of Faith with the easy-to-grip handle?  That sounds pretty good too, right?

Today I was reading in the Psalms and came across 3:3 where it describes the Lord as my shield.  Then as I continued to read, there it was again in 5:11-12 and 7:10.  And that's just in the first 7 chapters.  I know there's even more than that!  

When I think of the Lord as my Shield, I picture Him standing in front of me, arms stretched out, ready to block.  I picture Him facing me, reassuring me that He's got this covered.  Do not worry.  Just like a friend (or big brother) protecting you in a snowball fight, the Lord is blocking the fiery arrows of the evil one (eph 6:16).

It occurred to me that if there is something in my life that I feel like is too much for me to handle, it's that thing that my Shield allowed past.  Not because He dropped His arms for a moment, but because He knew that together we could take it.  It won't be a stroll in the park, it will be work.  It will be struggle.  But with His help and His loving protection, after we've done everything, we will be left standing (eph 6:10-18).

Today I remind myself - put on the armor.  
Grab hold of that easy-to-grip hand(le) of the Shield.  
We are ready!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...